In 2022, approximately 10.4% of U.S. Workforce participants can be categorized as part of the US AI Workforce. This donut graph has two wedges: 1 in magenta representing 10.4% (the U.S. AI Workforce) and the remaining 89.6% representing Other occupations.

Data Snapshot

The U.S. AI Workforce: Analyzing Current Supply and Growth

Sonali Subbu Rathinam

January 30, 2024

Understanding the current state of the AI workforce is essential as the U.S. prepares an AI-ready workforce. This Data Snapshot provides the latest estimates for the AI workforce by using data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2022 American Community Survey. It also highlights the changes in size and composition of the AI workforce since our earlier analysis of data from 2018.

Related Content

CSET's Workforce team is partnering with the NobleReach Foundation to deliver new research on talent trends in the U.S., including the talent development pipelines for AI, cybersecurity, and other emerging technologies. Read More

Data Visualization

AI Education Catalog

October 2021

Created through a joint partnership between CSET and the AI Education Project, the AI Education Catalog aims to raise awareness of the AI-related programs available to students and educators, as well as to help inform… Read More

This policy brief addresses the need for a clearly defined artificial intelligence education and workforce policy by providing recommendations designed to grow, sustain, and diversify the U.S. AI workforce. The authors employ a comprehensive definition… Read More


The Race for U.S. Technical Talent

August 2023

Technical talent is vital to innovation and economic growth, and attracting these highly mobile workers is critical to staying on the cutting-edge of the technological frontier. Conventional wisdom holds that the defense community generally struggles… Read More

Creating adequate talent pipelines for the cybersecurity workforce is an ongoing priority for the federal government. Understanding the effectiveness of current education initiatives will help policymakers make informed decisions. This report analyzes the National Centers… Read More