The following document is the 2019 budget of the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST). CAST is a professional organization for Chinese scientists and is run by the Communist Party. Its mission is to propagate the Party’s values among scientists and to promote science and scientific literacy in China, particularly among youth.
The Chinese source text is available online at:
US $1 ≈ 7 Chinese Yuan Renminbi (RMB), as of August 27, 2020.
Translator: Etcetera Language Group, Inc.
Editor: Ben Murphy, CSET Translation Lead
Part 1: Overview of the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST)
1. Primary Responsibilities
Approved by the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee in September 1958, the All-China Federation of Natural Science Societies (全国科联) merged with the All-China Association for the Popularization of Scientific Knowledge (全国科普) to formally establish the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST) (中国科学技术协会). CAST is a mass organization of Chinese S&T workers and a people’s organization under the leadership of the CPC. It is a bridge linking the party and the government with S&T workers and is an important force in advancing the country’s S&T development. According to the Charter of the China Association for Science and Technology, CAST fulfills the following primary responsibilities:
- To maintain close contact with S&T workers, propagate the party line, directives, and policies, reflect the suggestions, opinions, and demands of S&T workers, safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of S&T workers, and build a family of S&T workers.
- To carry out academic exchanges, enliven academic ideas, advocate academic democracy, optimize the academic environment, promote the development of curricula, and promote the construction of a national innovation system.
- To organize S&T workers to carry out S&T innovation, participate in scientific proofs and consulting services, accelerate the conversion of S&T achievements into applications, promote innovation and development, and contribute to enhancing the independent innovation capabilities of enterprises.
- To advance the spirit of science, popularize scientific knowledge, disseminate scientific ideas and methods, defend the dignity of science, and elevate the scientific literacy of the nation.
- To strengthen the self-discipline functions of the scientific community, to promote the establishment and improvement of mechanisms for the supervision of integrity in scientific research, to advance scientific ethics and academic atmosphere building, to foster a culture of science, and to practice the socialist core values concept (社会主义核心价值观).
- To organize S&T workers to participate in consultation and formulation of national S&T strategy, planning, layout, policies, laws and regulations, and political consultation, and to build a high-level S&T innovation think tank with Chinese characteristics.
- To organize affiliated associations to undertake, in an orderly fashion, government-entrusted work or transfer functions such as S&T evaluation, professional qualification recognition in the field of engineering and technology, technical standard development, and national S&T awards and recommendations.
- To focus on inspiring youth interest in S&T, to discover and train outstanding young scientists and innovation teams, to commend and reward outstanding S&T workers, and to recommend S&T talents.
- To carry out non-governmental international S&T exchange activities, promote international S&T cooperation, develop friendly exchanges with foreign (overseas) S&T organizations and S&T workers, and to provide services for overseas S&T talents to conduct innovation and do business in China.
- To establish social welfare undertakings in line with the objectives of CAST.
2. Departmental Budgetary Unit Composition
The composition of CAST departmental budgetary units in 2019 includes CAST itself, the CAST Institutional Retired Cadres Office (机关离退休干部办公室), and 16 directly affiliated units. The 16 directly affiliated units include:
- National Academy of Innovation Strategy, CAST
- Service Center for Societies of CAST (中国科协学会服务中心)
- Chinese Society for Dialectics of Nature/Philosophy of Nature, Science and Technology
- Children & Youth Science Center, CAST
- China Science and Technology Museum
- China Research Institute for Science Popularization
- Science & Technology Review
- CAST Enterprise Innovation Service Center (中国科协企业创新服务中心)
- CAST Rural Special Technology Service Center (中国科协农村专业技术服务中心)
- CAST Information Center (中国科协信息中心)
- CAST Internal Service Center (中国科协机关服务中心)
- China Hall of Science and Technology
- China Center for International Science and Technology Exchange
- CAST Training and Talent Service Center (中国科协培训和人才服务中心)
- CAST New Technology Development Center (中国科协新技术开发中心)
- CAST Science and Technology Propagation Center (中国科协科学技术传播中心)