[January 2022] We are currently seeking capable data storytellers, analyzers, and visualizers for multiple Data Research Analyst positions. Data Research Analysts work alongside CSET’s Analysis and Data Science teams to produce data-driven research products and policy analysis. This hybrid role combines knowledge of research methods and data analysis skills. Those with experience in common data visualization, programming languages, and/or statistical analysis tools may find this position of particular interest.
We are currently focused on prioritizing candidates who are interested in supporting our AI Workforce line of research. This may include research on comparing the AI workforce in the U.S. and China, evaluating AI talent pipelines, mapping industry and geographic migration trends, exploring non-traditional educational pathways in AI workforce preparedness, and assessing the impact of AI on the future of education and work.
Additionally, those who have demonstrated experience with data visualization and could support a range of CSET lines of research through data visualization, from data exploration to report publication (including complex, interactive data visualizations), are strongly encouraged to apply.
Other potential lines of research may include:
- Biotechnology: This could include examination of the biotechnology workforce, research infrastructure and funding, especially for dual use research of concern, biological safety regulations, global biosecurity policies and genome editing techniques. Ideal candidates include those with research experience in biology, chemistry or materials laboratory and/or exposure to genomics, bioinformatics, bioengineering, statistics, probability, econometrics, or related fields.
- AI Standards and Testing: This could include analyzing data on AI accidents, safety, domestic and international standards, testing, evaluation, verification, and validation in order to learn when systems work well, fail, and how to predict and mitigate these failures.
The Data Research Analyst will report to CSET’s Director of Data Science and Research and will be responsible for:
- Supporting research through data-focused tasks, including but not limited to identifying and evaluating data sources, preparing datasets for analysis, applying appropriate methods to extract information from datasets, and conducting data/code reviews;
- Developing data visualizations for use in presentations, reports, and interactive web visualizations;
- Design and execute research proposals and produce data-driven analytic products in coordination with Research Fellows, Research Analysts, Data Scientists, and Center leadership;
- Collaborating with CSET’s Data Science team to identify data requirements, determine appropriate methods, foster cross-team communication, and effectively leverage CSET data resources;
- Writing and contributing to CSET publications under the supervision of the Director of Data Science;
- Communicating, in written and verbal formats, CSET’s data resources and data-driven findings to a range of audiences, including contributing to DC briefings and events;
- Monitoring trends and developments in AI, ML, and national security policy.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 3-5 years’ relevant work experience required, including 2+ years of quantitative or statistical analysis experience from coursework or professional work and 1+ years of experience with data visualization tools and/or packages and with SQL and Python (or equivalent languages) from coursework or professional work;
- Ability to process and analyze data sets, interpret them to derive conclusions, and present findings for a broad audience;
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team environment;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, demonstrated through the development of publications and delivery of presentations;
- Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven.
This position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
This is a full-time, paid position. CSET Data Research Analysts generally earn between $75,000-$90,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
A complete application must include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample: Please provide a self-selected writing sample of at least two pages (e.g., class paper, prior project work, etc.)
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.