The following document is the 2022 budget of the All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese, a Communist Party-led organization that liaises with ethnic Chinese people living outside of mainland China and encourages them to support the Party in various ways.
The Chinese source text is available online at: http://download.people.com.cn/dangwang/one16481070531.pdf
An archived version of the Chinese source text is available online at: https://perma.cc/F65B-GGTB
U.S. $1 ≈ 6.9 Chinese Yuan Renminbi (RMB), as of September 6, 2022.
All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese (ACFROC) 2022
Part 1: Overview of the All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese
A. Departmental Responsibilities
The All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese (hereinafter referred to as “ACFROC”) is a civic organization (人民团体) under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) established in October 1956. The work of ACFROC is an important part of the cause of the Party and the country. According to the CCP Central Committee’s Opinions on Strengthening and Improving the Work of ACFROC under the New Situation, the CCP Central Committee Opinions on Strengthening and Improving the Party’s Group Work, and Reform Plan of ACFROC as well as the Charter of the All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese, the basic functions of ACFROC in the new era are “serving economic development, safeguarding the interests of overseas Chinese in accordance with the law, expanding overseas friendships, actively participating in political affairs, promoting Chinese culture, and participating in social construction.”
- To serve economic development is to strengthen services, build a platform, and guide the vast number of returned overseas Chinese and their families (归侨侨眷) and our overseas compatriots (海外侨胞) to actively participate in and support the economic construction of their ancestral homeland. We must strengthen ties with overseas Chinese (华侨华人) in business and industry, science and technology (S&T) societies, and important people. We must serve the overall situation of national and local development and introduce capital, technology, and management experience. We must serve the country’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI)1 construction, establishing an international business network and developing international business services for Chinese enterprises to “go global” (“走出去”). We must serve the talent powerhouse2 strategy and the strategy of innovation-driven development, excel in recruiting talents from overseas, and build a platform for overseas Chinese to innovate and start businesses.
- Safeguarding the interests of overseas Chinese in accordance with the law means safeguarding the legitimate rights and interests of the family members of returned overseas Chinese and the legitimate rights and interests of overseas compatriots in China. We must coordinate and cooperate with relevant ministries to deal with outstanding problems that damage the domestic rights and interests of returned overseas Chinese and their families and overseas compatriots and establish and improve a diversified mechanism for resolving conflicts involving overseas Chinese. We must put forward opinions and suggestions on the formulation and revision of overseas Chinese-related policies and laws, participate in the drafting of relevant laws and regulations, and strengthen propaganda and education on overseas Chinese-related laws and regulations. We must provide legal consulting services for overseas Chinese federations at all levels, returned overseas Chinese and their families, and overseas compatriots. We must care for the integration and development of overseas Chinese, guide them to abide by the laws of the country where they live, respect the local social customs and ethnic customs, and live in harmony with the local people.
- To expand overseas friendship is to unite and mobilize the vast number of returned overseas Chinese relatives and overseas compatriots to carry out friendship and liaison work. We must give full play to the advantages of ACFROC to closely contact overseas compatriots, participate in overseas friendship work through multiple channels, levels, and forms, make many new friends, and deeply engage with old friends. We must promote and support the strengthening of communication and cooperation between overseas Chinese groups and build a harmonious overseas Chinese community. We must strengthen cross-Strait exchanges between overseas Chinese and consolidate the public opinion foundation for the peaceful development of cross-Strait relations. We must strengthen ties with overseas Chinese circles and associations in Hong Kong and Macau. We must increase contact with overseas ethnic minority compatriots and enhance ethnic consensus. We must cooperate with the country’s overall diplomatic deployment, actively participate in public diplomacy and people-to-people and cultural exchanges, and expand people-to-people diplomacy.
- Actively participate in and deliberate on state affairs to give full play to the sectoral role of ACFROC in the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) in accordance with the requirements of developing socialist democratic politics. We must participate in recommending representatives of returned overseas Chinese to the National People’s Congress (NPC), negotiating over and nominating candidates for the CPPCC who represent ACFROC circles. We must assist NPC deputies who are returned overseas Chinese or their family members as well as members of the CPPCC National Committee who represent ACFROC circles in understanding social conditions and public opinion. We must provide good services for them to perform their duties in accordance with the law, to consult and discuss politics, to democratically supervise, and to make suggestions. We must actively reflect the opinions and appeals of returned overseas Chinese and their families and guide them to participate in the management of state and societal affairs in accordance with the law.
- To promote Chinese culture is to conform to the cultural complex of overseas compatriots and carry out in-depth cultural brand projects such as “Embrace China” (“亲情中华”) so as to enhance overseas compatriots’ understanding and recognition of Chinese culture. We must promote Chinese culture in going global and enhance the affinity and influence of Chinese culture in the world. We must support and participate in overseas Chinese-language education, strengthen exchanges and cooperation with overseas Chinese media, tell Chinese stories well, and spread Chinese voices well. We must run well the undertakings and research institutions related to overseas Chinese culture, guide and carry out cultural and academic exchange activities related to overseas Chinese, and enrich the cultural life of overseas Chinese hometowns.
- Participating in social construction means strengthening the ideological and political guidance of the overseas Chinese masses, strengthen their support for the Party, and acknowledge the [Chinese] race (民族), the country, and the system of socialism with Chinese characteristics. We must deeply understand the working and living conditions of the family members of returned overseas Chinese, promote the implementation of various policies to ensure and improve people’s livelihoods, and establish and improve the assistance mechanism for the family members of returned overseas Chinese who are having difficulties. We must provide services for overseas Chinese to return to work and live in China and support overseas Chinese in participating in the construction of their hometowns and the development of social undertakings. We must organize returned overseas Chinese and their families to actively participate in urban community governance and mobilize them to participate in the maintenance of social stability. We must promote the healthy development of the public welfare undertakings of ACFROC and provide services for returned overseas Chinese and their families and overseas compatriots to participate in various public welfare and charitable undertakings.
B. Institutional Configuration
For rest of this translation, download the PDF below.
Download Full Translation2022 Budget of the All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese
- Translator’s note: The “Belt and Road Initiative” (“一带一路”), abbreviated BRI, refers to the Silk Road Economic Belt (丝绸之路经济带) and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road (21世纪海上丝绸之路).
- Translator’s note: This translation renders the Chinese word 强国 qiángguó—which literally means “strong nation”—in English as “powerhouse,” as in the phrase “talent powerhouse” (人才强国). For a more thorough discussion in English of the Chinese word qiángguó, see: https://www.newamerica.org/cybersecurity-initiative/digichina/blog/lexicon-wangluo-qiangguo/.