The following document is the 2022 budget for the Chinese Academy of Sciences, a huge PRC government-run complex of scientific research institutes.
The Chinese source text is available online at: https://www.cas.cn/xxgkml/zgkxyyb/czjf/ysjs/202203/P020220324487370870665.pdf
An archived version of the Chinese source text is available online at: https://perma.cc/HN59-P5SV
U.S. $1 ≈ 6.7 Chinese Yuan Renminbi (RMB), as of June 10, 2022.
Chinese Academy of Sciences 2022 Budget
I. Basic information on the Chinese Academy of Sciences
(i) Departmental Responsibilities
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) was established in November 1949 as a public institution1 directly under the State Council. CAS is a comprehensive state research institution established by the central people’s government. It is the nation’s highest academic institution for natural sciences, the highest advisory body for science and technology, and the highest integrated research and development (R&D) center for natural sciences and high technology. It is a national force for strategic science and technology (S&T) that combines scientific research institutes, academic departments, and educational institutions. Its main responsibilities include:
- To engage mainly in basic research, strategic high-tech research, and research relating to sustainable economic and social development; to lead China’s leapfrog development in S&T; to focus on solving major basic, strategic, and cutting-edge technical issues in China’s modernization; to strengthen national strategic S&T power; to play a central driving role in the national innovation system with Chinese characteristics; to boost China’s S&T self-reliance (自立自强); and to provide a scientific foundation and technological wellspring for China’s high-quality development.
- To build itself into a national high-level S&T think tank, provide insights and deliberation on significant S&T issues, take on strategic research and consultation and evaluation tasks entrusted to it by the State, and to provide consulting advice and scientific evidence for the nation’s macro-level decision-making; and to abide by scientific ethics, regulate scientific behavior, and promote the progress of society and civilization while popularizing scientific knowledge throughout society, carrying forward the scientific spirit, disseminating scientific ideas, advocating the scientific method, and making scientific culture flourish.
- To adhere to the integration of science and education, simultaneous development of scientific research and education, simultaneous emphasis on producing achievements and talents, construction of a national bastion of innovative talents, and the training and assignment of high-level talents in S&T and innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To insist upon being an openly run academy (开放办院), broadly carry out S&T collaboration and exchanges at home and abroad, actively integrate with global innovation networks, and build itself into a world-class scientific research institution.
- To perform the duties of a public institution directly under the State Council, and take on other work entrusted to it by the State.
(ii) Institutional Configuration
There are 13 institutions established within CAS, which include: the General Office (办公厅), Bureau of Academic Department Work, Bureau of Cutting-Edge Science and Education, Bureau of Major Technology Tasks, Bureau of Science and Technology for Development, Bureau of Development and Planning, Bureau of Prerequisite Assurance and Financial Affairs (条件保障与财务局), Bureau of Personnel, Party Committee for Subordinate Organs (直属机关党委), Bureau of International Cooperation, Bureau of Science Communication, Bureau of Supervision and Auditing, Bureau of Retired Cadre Work (离退休干部工作局).
The departmental budget of CAS includes 146 budget units, of which 132 are public institutions and 14 are transformed institutions.2 Among the public institutions, there are 109 scientific research institutions, 13 management institutions, two educational institutions, and eight support institutions.
II. 2022 CAS Budget
For the rest of the translation, download the PDF below.
Download Full TranslationChinese Academy of Sciences 2022 Budget
- Translator’s note: “Public institutions” (事业单位) are organizations created and led by PRC government departments that provide social services. Unlike state-owned enterprises (SOEs), public institutions do not create material products and do not generate income. Public institutions are not considered government agencies, and their employees are not civil servants. Most public institutions are fully or partially government-funded, but some fully privately funded (but still government-led) public institutions exist. Public institutions typically provide services in areas such as education, science and technology, culture, health, and sanitation.
- Translator’s note: A converted institution (转制单位) is typically a Chinese state-owned enterprise (SOE) or public institution (事业单位)—that is, a Chinese government-controlled and funded agency that fills the niche that private nonprofits and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) typically fill in the United States—that has been converted into a corporation. This is most commonly done to improve the efficiency of what was formerly an inefficient, state-managed agency. Converted institutions usually retain their original personnel at the same pay scale as they were pre-conversion, and the government body that formerly directly managed them typically retains a controlling share of their stock.