This translation is a compilation of China’s semiconductor-related export controls, as of September 7, 2023. It combines translations of the semiconductor-related portions of three official Chinese government documents: (1) the Chinese Catalogue of Technologies Prohibited or Restricted from Export, published in September 2008, (2) adjustments made to the Catalogue in August 2020, and (3) additional proposed adjustments to the Catalogue released for public feedback in December 2022.
[Translator’s note: The following is an excerpted translation—of the semiconductor-related items only—from China’s export control list, the Chinese Catalogue of Technologies Prohibited or Restricted from Export. Specifically:
- Entries in normal black text are from the 2008 original version of the Catalogue.
- Entries in bold green text are additions or changes to the Catalogue that China made official in 2020.
- Entries in italic purple text are proposed additions or changes to the Catalogue that China circulated for public feedback in December 2022. Note that these are proposed changes that are not—as of the September 7, 2023 publication of this translation—legally binding in China.
End translator’s note.]
Chinese Catalogue of [Semiconductor-Related] Technologies Prohibited or Restricted from Export
Non-metallic mineral products
Technology name: Amorphous inorganic non-metallic materials production technology
Control point: High-power, large-size neodymium glass preparation technology for laser technology
Communications equipment, computers, and other electronic equipment manufacturing
Technology name: Integrated circuit manufacturing technology
Control point (控制要点): Anti-radiation technologies and processes
(1) Manufacturing technology of devices with anti-static ≥ 2,500 V, anti-transient dose rate (抗瞬时剂量率) > 1 × 1011 rad (Si)-s silicon on sapphire/complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (SOS/CMOS)
(2) Manufacturing technology of bipolar devices with anti-static ≥ 3,000 V and anti-transient dose rate > 1×1011 rad(Si)-s
To view the rest of this translation, download the pdf below.
Download Full TranslationChina’s Semiconductor-Related Export Controls
- Translator’s note: The Chinese Catalogue of Technologies Prohibited or Restricted from Export does not explain the difference between “prohibited” (禁止) and “restricted” (限制), in the context of Chinese export control policy. Presumably, “prohibited” items cannot be exported under any circumstances, and those who wish to export “restricted” items must first obtain the permission of the Chinese government.