We are currently seeking a Software Engineer to assist with data cleaning and normalization, data pipeline development and/or web development, and creating automated test suites. The Software Engineer will be part of the CSET Data Science Team’s new Emerging Technology Observatory (ETO) effort, working with other software engineers, data scientists, and researchers on a small but passionate team focused on building datasets and tools for decision support. The ETO team focuses on building products that leverage CSET’s data resources and infrastructure to help external users understand emerging technology trends.
The Software Engineer will report to the ETO Technical Lead and will be responsible for:
- Assisting with data pipeline implementation
- Preparing data and back-end features for web applications
- Writing data retrieval, cleaning, and normalization scripts in Python
- Implementing and automating code and data quality tests
- Writing SQL queries to retrieve and aggregate data
- Contributing to data documentation
- Participating in code and data reviews
Depending on skillset and interest, they may also assist with:
- User interface testing
- Front-end web development
- Data visualization
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Past professional experience in software engineering or data science (internships are OK)*;
- Experience using Git or another version control tool;
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming;
- Proficiency with Python;
- Experience with SQL;
- Comfort with regular expressions;
- Commitment to writing unit tests;
- Willingness to contribute to and comply with coding standards;
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team environment;
- High degree of flexibility as requirements and priorities evolve;
- Clear written and verbal communication;
- Motivated, enthusiastic, self-driven, and detail-oriented.
Our ideal applicant also has one or more of the following additional attributes:
- 2+ years experience as a software engineer
- Knowledge of front-end test automation tools
- Knowledge of Plotly or another data visualization library
- Experience cleaning/normalizing semi-structured, multilingual data
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Experience with entity linking
- Experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure (we use GCP)
- Experience with Apache Airflow, Apache Beam, or React, or interest in learning
- Experience with web frameworks like Flask or Django
This position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
- Cover letter that explains your interest in CSET and the Software Engineer role.
- Code sample (in any language) from a past project.
- Code samples can be provided by linking to a github repository in the cover letter. Applicants will be required to complete a coding exercise as part of the interview process.
APPLY HERE by Friday, June 3rd, 2022.
This position has been designated as Hybrid 3 Days. The role may be eligible for a fully remote (telework) work arrangement, but will require some in-person meetings in DC.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.