[March 7, 2023 Update]: This application is now closed.
CSET’s CyberAI project is currently seeking candidates to explore topics at the intersection of AI and cyber, either as a Research Fellow or Senior Fellow (depending on experience).
If you’ve spent years in the tech industry developing state of the art cyber or machine learning systems and are passionate about their beneficial use, then CSET may be the place for you. We’re seeking experienced technologists who want to share their wisdom to help secure our vital cyber and AI ecosystem. This position will provide an experienced technologist the time and intellectual freedom to assess the biggest problems at the intersection of AI, cybersecurity, and geopolitics.
Cyber attacks continue to threaten critical infrastructure, disrupt commerce, affect supply chains, and harm individuals. AI techniques, specifically machine learning, promise to uplift cyber defenses but there are many challenges, both technical and policy-related. The CyberAI project pursues technically grounded and analytically rigorous answers to those policy challenges.
About the Role
You will use a blend of analytic and technical skills to help lead and coordinate our research efforts at the intersection of cyber and AI. Tasks include shaping research priorities, conducting original research, overseeing the execution of the research and production of reports, and leading other team members.
Specifically, this role will work on one or more of the following areas:
- Assessing how AI techniques might improve cybersecurity;
- Assessing how AI could alter future cyber operations and create new threats; the potential failure modes of related AI techniques, or;
- Assessing cyber vulnerabilities in the ML development pipeline
CSET Senior Fellows and Research Fellows directly impact national security and tech policy discussions. Their expertise and analyses are sought by policy makers, national agencies, and congressional committees. Senior Fellows and Research Fellows frequently interact with international organizations, act as a connector between industry and government, and serve as subject matter experts for the media.
Responsibilities and Key Expectations
- Design, develop, and lead research projects related to the CyberAI Research Agenda, both individually and in collaboration with other Research Fellows, (Senior) Research Analysts, Data Research Analysts, Data Scientists, Senior Fellows and CSET leadership.
- Develop analysis plans and coach team members (both direct reports and matrixed) to execute the appropriate analyses within project timelines.
- Supervise, mentor, and coach other researchers, including (Senior) Research Analysts, Data Research Analysts, and Student Research Assistants.
- Produce written publications, both individually and as a coauthor.
- Edit products written by other researchers within the CyberAI line of research to ensure methodological rigor, tone, and consistency with other existing products in LOR.
- Develop and deliver presentations and briefs for policy-making audiences on topics related to emerging technologies, specifically those reflected in CSET Lines of Research and associated policy considerations.
- Coach team members on presentation preparation and delivery.
- Collaborate with CSET data scientists in building out CSET’s data and document libraries.
- Design research plans for data-focused analytic projects in coordination with members of CSET’s Data Science Team by identifying data needs, data team resourcing, and risk management approaches.
- Contribute to CSET’s organizational development, including by contributing to internal working groups, seminars, and discussions; and by supporting and mentoring colleagues.
While successful candidates can come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, ideally, CyberAI Senior Fellow and Research Fellow candidates:
- Are comfortable leading specific research inquiries from issue framing through research design and reporting of results.
- Are able to apply data science and machine learning techniques to test hypotheses.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills and can write on technical subjects in a way that is clear, concise and understandable.
- Have practical experience with machine learning or cybersecurity, such as automated vulnerability discovery and intrusion detection.
- Are able to understand the core elements of cybersecurity, including networking and the key elements of the MITRE ATT&CK framework.
- Are familiar with the current state of the art within machine learning and be able to quickly digest the relevant research literature in order to identify policy relevant insights.
- Are familiar with the failure modes of various AI models in real-world situations, including those in which AI systems may be actively attacked (e.g., data poisoning, adversarial attacks, etc).
- Have some experience working on the research and development of technology solutions and/or real world testing and evaluation of cyber or ML applications.
- Are able to engage on these complex issues with both contemporary practitioners and developers, as well as with non-technical audiences.
Requirements for all Candidates
- Graduate (Master’s, JD, PhD) degree in relevant field
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one (or both) of the following:
- AI/ML techniques/programming
- Ability to conduct research, write, and manage others with limited need for supervision
- Ability to digest AI/ML research literature to identify policy relevant insights
- Familiarity with interpreting and visualizing data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Comfort working in a matrixed/multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to work in the United States without employer sponsorship
Senior Fellow Requirements
- At least 5 years of public service roles OR 10 years of experience in progressive roles in the private sector
- Significant experience coaching and mentoring junior analysts/researchers in analytic and research tradecraft
- Experience in policy making, research and development leadership, corporate leadership roles, or analysis are highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in mentoring, professional development, and the creation of an inclusive environment within which employees can develop and grow effectively
- Project or team management experience
Research Fellow Requirements
- At least 3 years experience in research and policy analysis OR 5 years of experience in progressive roles in the private sector
- Some experience managing or coaching junior analysts/researchers in analytic and research tradecraft
This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and requires all employees be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
In general, Research Fellows can expect to earn between 100k-130k/year and Senior Fellows can expect to earn between $160-190k/year, commensurate with experience.
We encourage anyone who is eager about contributing to the CyberAI project to submit an application, even those who are unsure of their candidacy.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application must include the following:
- Cover Letter that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you applying to this position/CSET?
- What level (Research or Senior Fellow) are you applying for?
- What recent developments in AI hold particular promise in improving cybersecurity? Why?
- Writing Samples: Please provide two writing samples. Ideally these samples would be lead or sole-authored and policy-focused.
APPLY HERE by Monday, March 6th, 2023
CSET’s Commitment to Fellows
As part of CSET’s mission to develop the next generation of decision-makers, Senior Fellows and Research Fellows will have opportunities to lead significant research projects, manage teams, brief government officials; interact with the media; collaborate with internal and external research partners; engage with policymakers and other stakeholders in government and the private sector; and contribute meaningfully to CSET’s research agenda and development as an organization. Senior Fellows and Research Fellows gain exposure to government and other public service career options; and develop people management competencies. CSET is dedicated to providing full support to our staff through tailored professional development opportunities, flexible work arrangements and career coaching.