The following document is the 2019 budget for the Chinese Academy of Engineering, a PRC government body responsible for scientific research and for providing strategic scientific and technological input to PRC decision-makers.
The Chinese source text is available online at:
US $1 ≈ 7 Chinese Yuan Renminbi (RMB), as of August 25, 2020.
Translator: Etcetera Language Group, Inc.
Editor: Ben Murphy, CSET Translation Lead
1. Departmental Overview
(1) Functions of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE) (中国工程院)
The CAE is the highest honorable and advisory academic institution in the field of engineering science and technology in China. It is a ministerial-level institution directly under the State Council and is committed to promoting the development of engineering S&T. According to the Chinese Academy of Engineering Charter, it mainly performs the following duties:
- To implement the basic theories, basic line, and basic strategies of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and major strategic deployments of the country, to organize research and discuss major, key issues in the field of engineering S&T, to combine national economic and social development schemes and plans, to develop and apply engineering S&T, and to submit reports and recommendations;
- To organize and carry out strategic research on important national engineering S&T issues, provide consultation on decision-making, accept commissions from the government and relevant parties, and provide consultation on major engineering S&T development schemes, plans, programs, and their implementation;
- To promote the unity and cooperation of national engineering S&T circles, promote the sustained improvement of China’s level of engineering S&T and the construction of engineering S&T teams, and encourage the growth of outstanding talents;
- To organize and carry out academic exchanges and cooperation in the field of engineering S&T, represent the Chinese engineering S&T community, and participate in corresponding international organizations and related international academic activities;
- To carry forward the spirit of science, disseminate scientific ideas, advocate for advanced scientific culture, maintain the morality and dignity of science, and popularize S&T knowledge.
(2) Organizational Structure of CAE
CAE is composed of academicians. The Conference of Academicians (院士大会) is the highest authority of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and is held every other June. The permanent leading body during the period when the Conference is not in session is the CAE presidium. Executive meetings of the academy under the leadership of the presidium preside over and handle day-to-day work. The administrative office of the Chinese Academy of Engineering is a CAE institution that comprises a general office, a first bureau, a second bureau, a third bureau, and an international cooperation bureau. The CAE Strategic Consulting Center (中国工程院战略咨询中心) is set up under CAE and is a category-2 public welfare legal institution under CAE.
The departmental budget of CAE is composed of the two second-level budgetary units of CAE itself (a public institution managed with reference to the Civil Servant Law)1 and the Strategic Consulting Center (a self-financed public institution).2
2. CAE 2019 Departmental Budget
2019 is a critical year for forming a well-off society in an all-round way and realizing the first centennial objective. It is also the 25th anniversary of the founding of CAE. CAE will thoroughly implement Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era and the spirit of the 19th Party Congress, adhere to the party’s leadership of academicians and engineering S&T, resolutely implement the decisions and deployments of the CPC Central Committee, fully implement the Chinese Academy of Engineering Work Outline for 2018-2022, earnestly do a good job in the selection of academicians, strengthen the construction of the academician ranks, steadily promote the construction of CAE into a national high-end think tank, and strive to make new and greater contributions to accelerating the construction of an innovation-oriented country and to making China into an S&T superpower (科技强国), and to greet the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China with outstanding achievements.
The 2019 departmental budget of CAE reflects the basic operating funds of the academy and its affiliates, as well as project funds for consulting and research, academic activities, and international cooperation and exchanges.
Download Full TranslationChinese Academy of Engineering 2019 Budget
- Translator’s note: A “public institution managed with reference to the Civil Servant Law” (参照公务员法管理事业单位; 参公管理事业单位; 参公事业单位) is, like other “public institutions” (事业单位), a non-government organization that is controlled by the government, typically receives some or all of its funding from the state, and provides public services. Public institutions managed with reference to the Civil Servant Law differ from “ordinary public institutions” (一般事业单位) in that their employees, although not civil servants, are managed in accordance with the PRC Civil Servant Law.
- Translator’s note: “Public institutions” (事业单位) are organizations created and led by PRC government departments that provide social services. Unlike state-owned enterprises (SOEs), public institutions do not create material products and do not generate income. Public institutions are not considered government agencies, and their employees are not civil servants. Most public institutions are fully or partially government-funded, but some fully privately funded (but still government-led) public institutions exist. Public institutions typically provide services in areas such as education, science and technology, culture, health, and sanitation.