We are currently seeking applications for a UI/UX Designer to be a part of our Data Science Team’s new Emerging Technology Observatory (ETO) effort, which focuses on building products that leverage CSET’s data resources and infrastructure to give external users visibility into emerging technology trends.
The UI/UX Designer will work with software engineers, data scientists, and research fellows and analysts on a small but passionate team focused on building tools and datasets that assist with decision support. Day to day, the UI/UX Designer will be responsible for performing user interviews, writing user stories, creating user interface mockups, and conducting usability testing for public-facing Observatory products.
The UI/UX designer will report to the ETO Technical Lead and will be responsible for:
- Conducting user interviews with government officials, policy analysts, and research scientists in collaboration with the ETO Technical and Analytic Leads;
- Writing user stories to convey user experiences and requirements to ETO team and inform product roadmaps;
- Organizing and tracking user feedback on wireframes, product prototypes (betas), and released products;
- Helping select and prioritize features to address user requirements;
- Creating design mockups using Figma or similar interface design tools;
- Iterating designs in collaboration with the ETO team and external users;
- Developing usability testing plans and conducting usability testing; and
- Developing accessibility testing plans and ensuring EIT accessibility compliance for all product releases.
Depending on experience and interest, they may also assist with:
- Collaborating on technical documentation to ensure usability
- Designing API specifications
- Designing data schemas
- Creating stylesheets
- Creating automated front-end tests
- Helping design written products (e.g., static pages, pdfs) for the broader CSET team
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 2+ years of user interface design experience with attention to accessibility;
- Experience using Figma or similar tools;
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team environment;
- Ability to conduct user interviews and identify underlying needs that may not be explicitly articulated;
- Interest in understanding the complex requirements and use cases of subject matter expert users;
- Clear written and verbal communication that enables discussion of design tradeoffs;
- Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven.
Our ideal applicant also has one or more of the following skills:
- Knowledge of front-end testing
- Experience using databases or APIs, or interest in learning
- Experience with SQL or a scripting language, or interest in learning
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Experience collaborating on Github
- Experience working with engineers on small teams
This UI/UX Designer position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
- Cover letter that explains your interest in CSET and the UI/UX Designer role.
- Design portfolio
APPLY HERE by Friday, June 3rd, 2022.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.