To remain relevant – much less effective – the U.S. national security community must rapidly evaluate and translate new and emerging technologies, particularly in the field of AI, into novel capabilities that will be applied in the field. We are currently seeking a Research Fellow who aims to help decision makers in this task by separating real trends and strategic opportunities that have clear pathways to application from technological hope and hype.
Research Fellows will contribute to CSET’s mission of providing nonpartisan analysis to the policy community through data-driven research. They will create and communicate analytical products relevant to national security decision makers. Their work will accurately describe technical challenges and opportunities with regard to ethical, legal, strategic, fiscal, and/or organizational realities.
Strong research fellow candidates are open-minded, curious and independent researchers who balance expertise in a relevant technical field (i.e., computer science, mathematics, systems engineering) with experience or expertise in military operations or national security policy formulation. They are comfortable working with both empirical data and other forms of evidence to support and communicate policy recommendations to both knowledgeable and novice audiences.
Research Fellows are expected to lead research projects, brief policymakers, participate in public events, and manage and mentor CSET’s Research Analysts, Research Assistants, and student affiliates. They are also expected to work closely with CSET’s data scientists to conduct empirical analyses. Generally, Research Fellows are less than 10 years out of graduate school (MA, PhD or JD) programs and are encouraged to enter public service at the conclusion of their fellowship.
As AI Applications Research Fellow, you will report to a Senior Fellow and be responsible for:
- Developing, proposing, and leading research projects related to the national security applications of AI, both individually and in collaboration with other Research Fellows, Staff Researchers, Research Analysts, Data Scientists, and Center leadership
- Producing written publications, both individually and as a coauthor
- Supervising and mentoring Research Analysts, Research Assistants, and student affiliates
- Developing and delivering presentations and briefs for policy-making audiences
- Collaborating with Data Scientists and translators to leverage CSET data holdings as relevant to research
- Monitoring trends and developments in emerging technologies and national security policy
- Contributing to CSET’s organizational development, including contributing to internal working groups, seminars, and discussions; and supporting and mentoring colleagues
- Graduate (Master’s, JD, PhD) degree in relevant field
- At least 3 years of progressive experience in research and policy analysis, including familiarity with interpreting and visualizing data
- Technical abilities or experience in one or more of the following: AI/ML methodologies, systems engineering, military systems or operations
- An ability to digest AI/ML research literature to identify policy relevant insights
- Ability to conduct research, write, and manage others with limited need for supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Curiosity and enthusiasm
- Collaborative attitude; demonstrated ability to work in teams
- Project or team management experience
- Proficiency with office productivity tools like Google Docs and Microsoft Office
This position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
In general, CSET Research Fellows earn between $75,000 and $125,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application must include the following:
- Cover Letter that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you applying to this position?
- What opportunities and/or barriers to the responsible application of emerging technologies to national security are you most interested in researching and why?
- Writing Samples: Please provide two writing samples. Ideally these samples would be policy-oriented research and sole-authored, but any self-selected writing sample of at least two pages (e.g., class paper, prior project work, etc.) is acceptable.
APPLY HERE by Friday, July 15th, 2022.
CSET’s Commitment to Fellows:
As part of CSET’s mission to develop the next generation of decision-makers, Research Fellows will have opportunities to lead significant research projects, manage teams, brief government officials; interact with the media; collaborate with internal and external research partners; engage with policymakers and other stakeholders in government and the private sector; and contribute meaningfully to CSET’s research agenda and development as an organization. Research Fellows gain exposure to government and other public service career options; and develop people management competencies. CSET is dedicated to providing full support to our staff through tailored professional development opportunities, flexible work arrangements and career coaching.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.