CSET is looking for a Data Research Assistant to focus on bibliometric analyses of AI-related research. CSET maintains a significant digital collection of research in both English and Chinese, and we are looking for a person to help use this data to understand the various communities of research within AI as well as conduct comparative analyses of across different AI sub-specialities and across research communities in different nations.
- Collaborating with Research Fellows, other Research Analysts, Data Scientists, and Center leadership to develop and execute research proposals.
- Supporting research with data-focused analytic tasks, such as identifying and evaluating data sources; preparing relevant datasets for analysis and executing appropriate analytic methodologies to extract information from those datasets.
- Developing data visualizations for use in data presentations, reports, and standalone website interactive visualizations.
- Collaborating with CSET’s Data team to identify data requirements, determine appropriate analytic methods applicable to given problems, and develop effective implementations.
- Contributing to and coauthoring written publications under the supervision of Research Fellows.
- Contributing to DC briefings and events and provide summaries to Research staff.
- Monitoring trends and developments in AI, ML, and national security policy.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 2+ years of quantitative or statistical analysis experience from coursework or professional work – building analytic intuition, solving problems using data, and providing practical insight using data;
- 1+ years of experience with data visualization tools and/or packages from coursework or professional work (Tableau, Matplotlib, Plotly, Seaborn, etc.;
- 1+ years of experience with SQL from coursework or professional work;
- 1+ years of experience with Python and/or R (or equivalent languages) from coursework or professional work;
- Ability to process and analyze data sets, and interpret them to make decisions;
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team environment;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, demonstrated through the development of publications and delivery of presentations;
- Exposure to advanced approaches to statistics and data-driven model development; and
- Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field like economics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or a related area of study;
- Graduate degree;
- Additional quantitative or statistical analysis experience or advanced coursework;
- Additional experience with SQL, python, and R (or equivalent languages); and
- Experience working with data in multiple human languages.
Complete applications require a Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and representative writing sample. Review of applications will begin on September 1, 2020.