CSET’s CyberAI project is currently seeking Research Fellow candidates to explore topics at the intersection of AI and cyber.
The nation’s dependencies upon a well-functioning cyber ecosystem has come into sharp focus as a range of cyber attacks have disrupted commerce, affected supply chains, and harmed individuals. AI techniques, specifically machine learning, offer an opportunity to uplift cyber defenses and improve the underlying security of this critical resource on which our society relies. However, there are numerous challenges to effecting these changes — some technical and others policy-related. Our research fellows examine how the application of AI for cyber can benefit societies but also create new avenues for geostrategic competition. AI may also create new vulnerabilities as it is applied in new areas. Understanding these risks is central to our work.
Fellows will be able to assess the potential of AI techniques to support cybersecurity, the potential failure modes of related AI techniques, and the geostrategic implications of AI-enabled cyber operations. CyberAI Research Fellows can describe technical concepts for a policy audience, identify challenges and make recommendations to effectively apply AI techniques.
The Cyber/AI Research Fellow would research current and proposed ML applications in cybersecurity. The ideal candidate has ML programming and coding experience and can build prototype ML models to test and evaluate hypotheses. In addition, they should be familiar with automated vulnerability discovery and patching techniques and intrusion detection. The candidate should also understand the core elements of cybersecurity, including networking and the key elements of the MITRE ATT&CK framework.
The candidate should understand the current state of the art ML algorithms (e.g., transformers, reinforcement learning) and be able to digest the relevant research literature in order to identify policy relevant insights. Successful candidates should have familiarity with the failure modes of various AI models in real-world situations, including those in which AI systems may be actively attacked (e.g., data poisoning, adversarial images, etc). The ideal candidate also has some experience working on the research and development of technology solutions and/or real world testing and evaluation of cyber or ML applications.
- Developing, proposing, and leading research projects related to CSET’s CyberAI mission, both individually and in collaboration with other Research Fellows, Research Analysts, Data Research Analysts, Data Scientists, Senior Fellows and CSET leadership.
- Conducting the analyses necessary to execute those research projects individually or as head of a project team of researchers and data scientists.
- Producing written publications, both individually and as a coauthor
- Supervising and mentoring Research Analysts and student affiliates
- Developing and delivering presentations and briefs for policy-making audiences on topics related to emerging technologies, especially artificial intelligence (AI) and advanced computing.
- Collaborating with CSET data scientists in building out CSET’s data and document libraries.
- Monitoring trends and developments in cybersecurity, AI, computing, and national security policy.
- Contributing to CSET’s organizational development, including by contributing to internal working groups, seminars, and discussions; and by supporting and mentoring colleagues
- Graduate (Master’s, JD, PhD) degree in relevant field
- Technical abilities in one or more of the following: AI/ML methodologies, vulnerability discovery, or intrusion detection
- Ability to digest AI/ML research literature to identify policy relevant insights
- At least 3 years experience in research and policy analysis, including familiarity with interpreting and visualizing data
- Ability to conduct research, write, and manage others with limited need for supervision
- Coding proficiency in a common machine learning language such as Python
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Curiosity and enthusiasm
- Collaborative attitude; demonstrated ability to work in teams
- Project or team management experience
- Proficiency with office productivity tools like Google Docs and Microsoft Office
This position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
CSET’s Commitment to Fellows:
CSET is dedicated to providing full support to our staff through tailored professional development opportunities, flexible work arrangements and career coaching. As part of CSET’s mission to develop the next generation of decision-makers, Research Fellows will have opportunities to lead significant research projects, manage teams, brief government officials; interact with the media; collaborate with internal and external research partners; engage with policymakers and other stakeholders in government and the private sector; and contribute meaningfully to CSET’s research agenda and development as an organization. Research Fellows gain exposure to government and other public service career options; and develop people management competencies.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application must include the following:
- Cover Letter that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you applying to this position*?
- What is an issue at the intersection of cyber and machine learning that you believe will be important during the next decade?
- Writing & Coding Samples: Please provide one writing sample and one coding sample. Ideally the writing sample would be policy-oriented research and sole-authored, but any self-selected writing sample of at least two pages is acceptable. An ideal coding sample would apply common ML techniques to a problem, preferably a cyber one (e.g., spam detection).
- References: Please provide three professional and/or academic references who may be contacted later in the hiring process. For each reference, list their name, position, email, phone (if you have it), and relationship to you. We will confirm with you before contacting anyone you list.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.